Measurement & Fit Guide
What’s just as important as finding off-price designer furniture that you absolutely love at The Dump? Making sure that those pieces fit in your home!
Use the helpful tips in this guide to ensure easy delivery, and that your new furniture is the right size for your room.
MEASURE YOUR ROOM
Get accurate measurements of the space you’d like to put new furniture in. Always measure if you have a sectional or other oversized piece in mind. If the room isn’t a perfect square or rectangle, be sure to take into account any recessed or protruding walls, and measure accordingly.
MEASURE YOUR PATHWAYS
TO YOUR ROOM
It’s important to consider more than just the space where your new furniture will be placed. Will it fit through the pathway to that room? Be sure to measure your doorways, entryway clearance, hallways, stairways (especially those with turns and landings), and any ceiling fans or low-hanging light fixtures.
If you live in a building with an elevator, take measurements of the elevator door opening width and height, as well as the inside of the elevator and any hallways leading to or from it.
A) Entry way height B) Entryway width C) Interior doorway height D) Interior doorway width
E) Ceiling height including landings & stairs F) Staircase width
MEASURE YOUR FURNITURE
A Dump associate will be glad to help.
To make sure your new furniture is the right size for you room, mark off its dimensions on your floor using masking tape, painter’s tape or a cardboard template. This will help you envision how the item will fit in that space.
Here are a few important measurements to pay attention to when bringing home new furniture:
SOFAS • LOVESEATS • CHAIRS
The width (A) should fit within the space intended in the room. The depth (B) and diagonal depth (C) should be less than your doorway clearance.
Measure from the widest points on the left to the right
Measure from the back to the front
Measure from the back bottom to the straight line from the top back to the arm
BOOKCASES • DRESSERS • DINING
Bookcases: Diagonal height (A) and depth (B) should not exceed your entryway clearance.
Dining: Width (A) should fit within the intended room and height (B) should not exceed your doorway clearance.
Measure from the top left to the bottom right
Measure from the back to the front
Measure from side to side
Measure from the farthest points top to bottom
WIDTH & HEIGHT
Width (A): Measure from side to side
Height (B): Measure from the farthest points top to bottom
Measure from the back bottom to the straight line
from the back top to the front bottom
- Please make sure that the furniture you order will fit inside your home. If your furniture doesn’t fit in the desired location, you will be subject to a restocking fee.
- Remember: Items need to fit in the normal pathways of your home. The Haynes delivery providers cannot hoist items to an upper floor, nor can they make a delivery above the third floor without an elevator.
- Prior to delivery, please make sure that your room is empty, and the space is available to receive your new furniture. Haynes delivery providers do not dismantle furniture, and they are not permitted to move or handle your other furnishings.
- Don’t forget! Be sure to inspect and report any damage to your furniture before pick-up, or before the delivery driver leaves your home by calling us at 1-800-768-0348 or texting us at 1-540-384-5041.
- For more information, visit our FAQ and Terms & Conditions